“What’s with the wedding cakes?” asked Bonnie Fuller in The Huffington Post. Far too many Hollywood stars—including Miley Cyrus, Penélope Cruz, and Sarah Jessica Parker—were in copycat mode at the Oscars after seeing Michelle Obama’s inauguration night confection by designer Jason Wu. Natalie Portman, on the other hand (click here to view), “was an Oscar float in the best sense” with her “ethereal” pink gown.
Portman did look “sophisticated and fresh,” said Jocelyn Vena in MTV.com, but Parker’s ballerina look sure was sexy (click here to view). And Angelina Jolie was another winner on the red carpet with a black dress paired with emerald earrings (click here to view). This wasn’t like the muumuu she wore during her pregnancy—it was “shocking in the right way.”
The movie stars who really stole the show were Marisa Tomei and Kate Winslet, said Sylvia Rubin in the San Francisco Chronicle. One-shoulder gowns were the rage for the second year in a row, with Tomei’s pale gray Versace (click here to view) and Best Actress winner Winslet’s slate blue and black Yves Saint Laurent (click here to view) clearly the best of the glamorous bunch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week