“What’s with the wedding cakes?” asked Bonnie Fuller in The Huffington Post. Far too many Hollywood stars—including Miley Cyrus, Penélope Cruz, and Sarah Jessica Parker—were in copycat mode at the Oscars after seeing Michelle Obama’s inauguration night confection by designer Jason Wu. Natalie Portman, on the other hand (click here to view), “was an Oscar float in the best sense” with her “ethereal” pink gown.
Portman did look “sophisticated and fresh,” said Jocelyn Vena in MTV.com, but Parker’s ballerina look sure was sexy (click here to view). And Angelina Jolie was another winner on the red carpet with a black dress paired with emerald earrings (click here to view). This wasn’t like the muumuu she wore during her pregnancy—it was “shocking in the right way.”
The movie stars who really stole the show were Marisa Tomei and Kate Winslet, said Sylvia Rubin in the San Francisco Chronicle. One-shoulder gowns were the rage for the second year in a row, with Tomei’s pale gray Versace (click here to view) and Best Actress winner Winslet’s slate blue and black Yves Saint Laurent (click here to view) clearly the best of the glamorous bunch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week