“What’s with the wedding cakes?” asked Bonnie Fuller in The Huffington Post. Far too many Hollywood stars—including Miley Cyrus, Penélope Cruz, and Sarah Jessica Parker—were in copycat mode at the Oscars after seeing Michelle Obama’s inauguration night confection by designer Jason Wu. Natalie Portman, on the other hand (click here to view), “was an Oscar float in the best sense” with her “ethereal” pink gown.
Portman did look “sophisticated and fresh,” said Jocelyn Vena in MTV.com, but Parker’s ballerina look sure was sexy (click here to view). And Angelina Jolie was another winner on the red carpet with a black dress paired with emerald earrings (click here to view). This wasn’t like the muumuu she wore during her pregnancy—it was “shocking in the right way.”
The movie stars who really stole the show were Marisa Tomei and Kate Winslet, said Sylvia Rubin in the San Francisco Chronicle. One-shoulder gowns were the rage for the second year in a row, with Tomei’s pale gray Versace (click here to view) and Best Actress winner Winslet’s slate blue and black Yves Saint Laurent (click here to view) clearly the best of the glamorous bunch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Surviving a plane crash
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week