“What’s with the wedding cakes?” asked Bonnie Fuller in The Huffington Post. Far too many Hollywood stars—including Miley Cyrus, Penélope Cruz, and Sarah Jessica Parker—were in copycat mode at the Oscars after seeing Michelle Obama’s inauguration night confection by designer Jason Wu. Natalie Portman, on the other hand (click here to view), “was an Oscar float in the best sense” with her “ethereal” pink gown.
Portman did look “sophisticated and fresh,” said Jocelyn Vena in MTV.com, but Parker’s ballerina look sure was sexy (click here to view). And Angelina Jolie was another winner on the red carpet with a black dress paired with emerald earrings (click here to view). This wasn’t like the muumuu she wore during her pregnancy—it was “shocking in the right way.”
The movie stars who really stole the show were Marisa Tomei and Kate Winslet, said Sylvia Rubin in the San Francisco Chronicle. One-shoulder gowns were the rage for the second year in a row, with Tomei’s pale gray Versace (click here to view) and Best Actress winner Winslet’s slate blue and black Yves Saint Laurent (click here to view) clearly the best of the glamorous bunch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
Subscribe to the Week