ood day for: Staying put, as prices of U.S. single-family homes plunged 18.5 percent in December from a year earlier, according to a Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home price index on Tuesday. "Most of the nation appears to remain on a downward path," said David Blitzer, chairman of S&P's index committee. (Reuters in Yahoo Finance)
Bad day for: Optimism, as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress Tuesday that the economy is suffering through a "severe contraction" and would continue shrinking through the first six months of 2009. (AP in Forbes)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week