Good day for: Staying put, as prices of U.S. single-family homes plunged 18.5 percent in December from a year earlier, according to a Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home price index on Tuesday. "Most of the nation appears to remain on a downward path," said David Blitzer, chairman of S&P's index committee. (Reuters in Yahoo Finance)
Bad day for: Optimism, as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress Tuesday that the economy is suffering through a "severe contraction" and would continue shrinking through the first six months of 2009. (AP in Forbes)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How ISIS gets its hostages
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week