Using Karl Marx's theory that every historical personage appears twice, said Hans Vogel in Pravda, the U.S. escalation in Afghanistan could make President Obama the second coming of John F. Kennedy, who started Vietnam, or maybe “a second George W. Bush,” who got the U.S. into Afghanistan. But it’s also possible that Obama is “the U.S. Gorbachev, presiding over the dissolution of the U.S. into a number of smaller independent states. It seems under the surface, disintegration has already set in, with major states like California and Texas having made the first steps on the road towards full autonomy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week