Using Karl Marx's theory that every historical personage appears twice, said Hans Vogel in Pravda, the U.S. escalation in Afghanistan could make President Obama the second coming of John F. Kennedy, who started Vietnam, or maybe “a second George W. Bush,” who got the U.S. into Afghanistan. But it’s also possible that Obama is “the U.S. Gorbachev, presiding over the dissolution of the U.S. into a number of smaller independent states. It seems under the surface, disintegration has already set in, with major states like California and Texas having made the first steps on the road towards full autonomy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week