Using Karl Marx's theory that every historical personage appears twice, said Hans Vogel in Pravda, the U.S. escalation in Afghanistan could make President Obama the second coming of John F. Kennedy, who started Vietnam, or maybe “a second George W. Bush,” who got the U.S. into Afghanistan. But it’s also possible that Obama is “the U.S. Gorbachev, presiding over the dissolution of the U.S. into a number of smaller independent states. It seems under the surface, disintegration has already set in, with major states like California and Texas having made the first steps on the road towards full autonomy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week