Using Karl Marx's theory that every historical personage appears twice, said Hans Vogel in Pravda, the U.S. escalation in Afghanistan could make President Obama the second coming of John F. Kennedy, who started Vietnam, or maybe “a second George W. Bush,” who got the U.S. into Afghanistan. But it’s also possible that Obama is “the U.S. Gorbachev, presiding over the dissolution of the U.S. into a number of smaller independent states. It seems under the surface, disintegration has already set in, with major states like California and Texas having made the first steps on the road towards full autonomy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week