Using Karl Marx's theory that every historical personage appears twice, said Hans Vogel in Pravda, the U.S. escalation in Afghanistan could make President Obama the second coming of John F. Kennedy, who started Vietnam, or maybe “a second George W. Bush,” who got the U.S. into Afghanistan. But it’s also possible that Obama is “the U.S. Gorbachev, presiding over the dissolution of the U.S. into a number of smaller independent states. It seems under the surface, disintegration has already set in, with major states like California and Texas having made the first steps on the road towards full autonomy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week