ood deed leads to jaywalking ticket
A Colorado man who was run over while helping two elderly women cross a road has been ticketed for jaywalking. Jim Moffett, 68, was hit by a truck when he ran to assist the two women shuffling across a busy intersection. Moffett is now in intensive care with internal injuries—and a $22 jaywalking ticket. “We understand Mr. Moffett was doing something with great intentions,” said Trooper Ryan Sullivan, “but it was still dangerous for anyone to be in the road.”
Native Spanish speakers enrolled in AP Spanish class
Lemon Grove Middle School near San Diego has enrolled 34 native Spanish speakers in the school’s Advanced Placement Spanish class. The students were raised speaking Spanish, but principal Ambler Moss says the high marks they achieve in the AP class help them feel good about themselves. “This gives them confidence,” said Moss. “We’re turning a historical disadvantage into an economic and intellectual asset.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week