Good week for:
The Microsoft 25, after the giant software company sheepishly announced that 25 laid-off employees could keep the accidental overpayments in their severance checks. The company originally demanded that the fired employees refund the money, but relented after its tersely worded letter was leaked on the Internet.
The Taliban, after the London Times printed Google Earth photos of U.S. Predator drones awaiting their next mission at an airbase in Pakistan. To mollify Islamic extremists, the Pakistani government has pretended to be outraged every time an American drone fires a missile into groups of Taliban and al Qaida fighters.
Serial monogamy, after 68-year-old Linda Wolfe of Indiana, who has been married a world record 23 times, said she was looking for husband No. 24. “You know, it gets lonely,” said Wolfe, who described herself as “addicted to romance.”
Bad week for:
Hitler’s reputation, after a newly released British intelligence document revealed that the dictator’s dining companions were disgusted by his table manners. Hitler ate too fast, gorged on cakes, bit his nails during meals, and ignored conversations around him.
Facebook addiction, after a 19-year-old Florida man was arrested for allegedly stealing a laptop from a fellow Starbucks customer in order to check his account on the social networking site.
The Irish police, who were alerted by an internal memo to stop issuing traffic tickets to a mysterious Polish immigrant named Prawo Jazdy, who already had accumulated 50 unpaid tickets. Prawo Jazdy, the memo noted, is Polish for “driver’s license.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
Subscribe to the Week