“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt, quoted in Investor’s Business Daily
“Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.”
Henry Ford, quoted in the Memphis Commercial Appeal
“There is a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.”
Leonard Cohen, quoted in the Adelaide, Australia, Herald Sun
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man.”
Bertrand Russell, quoted in Talkingpointsmemo.com
“A wise man will make haste to forgive, because he knows the true value of time, and will not suffer it to pass away in unnecessary pain.”
Samuel Johnson, quoted in Refdesk.com
“I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.”
Essayist E.V. Lucas, quoted in the London Independent
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week