“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt, quoted in Investor’s Business Daily
“Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.”
Henry Ford, quoted in the Memphis Commercial Appeal
“There is a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.”
Leonard Cohen, quoted in the Adelaide, Australia, Herald Sun
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man.”
Bertrand Russell, quoted in Talkingpointsmemo.com
“A wise man will make haste to forgive, because he knows the true value of time, and will not suffer it to pass away in unnecessary pain.”
Samuel Johnson, quoted in Refdesk.com
“I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.”
Essayist E.V. Lucas, quoted in the London Independent
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week