“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt, quoted in Investor’s Business Daily
“Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.”
Henry Ford, quoted in the Memphis Commercial Appeal
“There is a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.”
Leonard Cohen, quoted in the Adelaide, Australia, Herald Sun
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man.”
Bertrand Russell, quoted in Talkingpointsmemo.com
“A wise man will make haste to forgive, because he knows the true value of time, and will not suffer it to pass away in unnecessary pain.”
Samuel Johnson, quoted in Refdesk.com
“I have noticed that people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.”
Essayist E.V. Lucas, quoted in the London Independent
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week