74% of Americans said President Obama is trying to bridge the partisan divide by compromising with Republicans. Only 31% said Republicans are doing the same. 63% said Republicans in Congress opposed the stimulus bill “for political reasons,” not real issues of policy.
CBS News/The New York Times
President Obama now tops the roster of people, living or dead, that Americans named as their “personal hero.” Rounding out the top five were Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr., Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush. Respondents were not given a list of names to choose from.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week