74% of Americans said President Obama is trying to bridge the partisan divide by compromising with Republicans. Only 31% said Republicans are doing the same. 63% said Republicans in Congress opposed the stimulus bill “for political reasons,” not real issues of policy.
CBS News/The New York Times
President Obama now tops the roster of people, living or dead, that Americans named as their “personal hero.” Rounding out the top five were Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr., Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush. Respondents were not given a list of names to choose from.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How ISIS gets its hostages
Subscribe to the Week