74% of Americans said President Obama is trying to bridge the partisan divide by compromising with Republicans. Only 31% said Republicans are doing the same. 63% said Republicans in Congress opposed the stimulus bill “for political reasons,” not real issues of policy.
CBS News/The New York Times
President Obama now tops the roster of people, living or dead, that Americans named as their “personal hero.” Rounding out the top five were Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr., Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush. Respondents were not given a list of names to choose from.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
Subscribe to the Week