74% of Americans said President Obama is trying to bridge the partisan divide by compromising with Republicans. Only 31% said Republicans are doing the same. 63% said Republicans in Congress opposed the stimulus bill “for political reasons,” not real issues of policy.
CBS News/The New York Times
President Obama now tops the roster of people, living or dead, that Americans named as their “personal hero.” Rounding out the top five were Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King Jr., Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush. Respondents were not given a list of names to choose from.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week