Rough Creek Lodge & Resort
Near Glen Rose, Texas
“‘Luxury Creek’ might be a better name” for this stately lodge, said Les Thomas in Southern Living. At this 11,000-acre ranch in the heart of Texas Hill Country, “city slickers get treated like cattle barons.” Guests can stay in the “cozy, 57-room lodge” or reserve an exclusive cabin or guesthouse. The miles of manor offer 82 activities ranging from cattle drives and horseback rides to zip lines and a driving range. Chef Gerard Thompson has brought the restaurant renown by blending the rustic with the modern in such exquisite dishes as Grilled Texas Quail With Grits and Handmade Pheasant Ravioli.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week