Rough Creek Lodge & Resort
Near Glen Rose, Texas
“‘Luxury Creek’ might be a better name” for this stately lodge, said Les Thomas in Southern Living. At this 11,000-acre ranch in the heart of Texas Hill Country, “city slickers get treated like cattle barons.” Guests can stay in the “cozy, 57-room lodge” or reserve an exclusive cabin or guesthouse. The miles of manor offer 82 activities ranging from cattle drives and horseback rides to zip lines and a driving range. Chef Gerard Thompson has brought the restaurant renown by blending the rustic with the modern in such exquisite dishes as Grilled Texas Quail With Grits and Handmade Pheasant Ravioli.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week