Rough Creek Lodge & Resort
Near Glen Rose, Texas
“‘Luxury Creek’ might be a better name” for this stately lodge, said Les Thomas in Southern Living. At this 11,000-acre ranch in the heart of Texas Hill Country, “city slickers get treated like cattle barons.” Guests can stay in the “cozy, 57-room lodge” or reserve an exclusive cabin or guesthouse. The miles of manor offer 82 activities ranging from cattle drives and horseback rides to zip lines and a driving range. Chef Gerard Thompson has brought the restaurant renown by blending the rustic with the modern in such exquisite dishes as Grilled Texas Quail With Grits and Handmade Pheasant Ravioli.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why your employer should clean your house and do your laundry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The big policy question libertarians can't answer
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week