Rough Creek Lodge & Resort
Near Glen Rose, Texas
“‘Luxury Creek’ might be a better name” for this stately lodge, said Les Thomas in Southern Living. At this 11,000-acre ranch in the heart of Texas Hill Country, “city slickers get treated like cattle barons.” Guests can stay in the “cozy, 57-room lodge” or reserve an exclusive cabin or guesthouse. The miles of manor offer 82 activities ranging from cattle drives and horseback rides to zip lines and a driving range. Chef Gerard Thompson has brought the restaurant renown by blending the rustic with the modern in such exquisite dishes as Grilled Texas Quail With Grits and Handmade Pheasant Ravioli.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week