ough Creek Lodge & Resort
Near Glen Rose, Texas
“‘Luxury Creek’ might be a better name” for this stately lodge, said Les Thomas in Southern Living. At this 11,000-acre ranch in the heart of Texas Hill Country, “city slickers get treated like cattle barons.” Guests can stay in the “cozy, 57-room lodge” or reserve an exclusive cabin or guesthouse. The miles of manor offer 82 activities ranging from cattle drives and horseback rides to zip lines and a driving range. Chef Gerard Thompson has brought the restaurant renown by blending the rustic with the modern in such exquisite dishes as Grilled Texas Quail With Grits and Handmade Pheasant Ravioli.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can Paul Ryan's poverty blitz survive contact with reality?
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week