“Rihanna defied logic over the weekend by reuniting with" Chris Brown, who allegedly battered his pop star girlfriend just three weeks ago, said Liz Kelly in The Washington Post. Apparently, the celebrity couple has been spending time together at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Star Island mansion in Florida. “I cringe to think of the mixed message it could be sending to other young people in similar circumstances.” (Click here to watch Rihanna and Brown performing together in 2008)
Not only that, said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone, but Brown may have ulterior motives here. “A reconciliation with Rihanna is perhaps the only way the 19-year-old R&B star can save his career.” Still, Brown isn’t legally “out of the woods yet,” although “it would be difficult for prosecutors to secure a conviction without Rihanna’s testimony.”
Well, not everyone is dismayed by the news that Rihanna is trying to work things out with her alleged abuser, said MSNBC.com. “Learning that his daughter and Chris Brown have reconciled, Rihanna's father says he supports the singer in her decisions,” emphasizing that “‘she’s a smart girl.’” However, he had no comment regarding Brown.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week