OOD DAY FOR: Cleaning up your feces, after development experts estimated that the 100,000 tons of feces India’s residents leave in crop fields, rivers, streets, and drinking water sources shaves a couple percentage points from its $1.2 trillion GDP each year. Feces-related illness, lost productivity, and the high dropout rate among schoolgirls once they hit puberty and face sharing unisex bathrooms in schools are all cited as significant barriers to India’s development. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Making friends with Yoda and Batman, as aspiring Facebook users with odd names—like Miranda Batman, Hiroko Yoda, and Bess Pancake—are seeing their sign-up requests denied. The number of people with the actual name Batman, explains Facebook spokeswoman Meredith Chin, is probably “fewer than the number of people who could potentially misuse the name on the site.” (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week