OOD DAY FOR: Cleaning up your feces, after development experts estimated that the 100,000 tons of feces India’s residents leave in crop fields, rivers, streets, and drinking water sources shaves a couple percentage points from its $1.2 trillion GDP each year. Feces-related illness, lost productivity, and the high dropout rate among schoolgirls once they hit puberty and face sharing unisex bathrooms in schools are all cited as significant barriers to India’s development. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Making friends with Yoda and Batman, as aspiring Facebook users with odd names—like Miranda Batman, Hiroko Yoda, and Bess Pancake—are seeing their sign-up requests denied. The number of people with the actual name Batman, explains Facebook spokeswoman Meredith Chin, is probably “fewer than the number of people who could potentially misuse the name on the site.” (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Attack of the invasive species
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week