“pole tax” for the adult-entertainment business?
With the adult-entertainment business one of the few bright spots in the economy, several states and municipalities have been moving to raise taxes on dirty magazines, sex toys, and strip clubs. In Texas, a proposed levy on strip joints was dubbed the “pole tax.”
CIA now briefs White House on global economic crisis
Underscoring the official anxiety over the risks that the economic downturn poses to international stability, the White House now receives a daily CIA briefing on the global economic crisis, in addition to briefings on terrorism and other national-security issues.
Los Angeles Times
Vehicle repossessions rise by 12 precent
The number of vehicle repossessions in the U.S. last year jumped 12 percent, to 1.67 million. Violent incidents between repo men and car owners also rose sharply.
National Guard leaves New Orleans
Three and a half years after Hurricane Katrina, the National Guard has pulled the last of its troops out of New Orleans. “A lot more of us will be packing our own pieces now to make sure we’re protected,” said restaurant owner Calvin Stewart.
The Rocky Mountain News closes
The Rocky Mountain News, a 149-year-old Denver daily, published its last edition last week—another victim of sagging circulation and advertising revenue. In recent months, four major newspaper companies have sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for 33 daily newspapers, including The Philadelphia Inquirer, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, and Minneapolis Star Tribune.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week