Our 43rd president (or a reasonable facsimile thereof, courtesy of Will Ferrell) invites viewers to “remember, celebrate, and cherish his eight years of service,” in this HBO special shown live from the stage of Broadway’s Cort Theatre. Ferrell’s impersonation, first created during his years on Saturday Night Live, has earned largely positive reviews during its eight-week run; the political satire is not particularly pointed, but no one captures Bush’s cowboy cadences and Peter Pan jocosity better. And the improvisatory portion of the show, in which Ferrell assigns Bush-style nicknames to audience members based on their occupations, promises to be a highlight. Saturday, March 14, at 9 p.m., HBO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week