Our 43rd president (or a reasonable facsimile thereof, courtesy of Will Ferrell) invites viewers to “remember, celebrate, and cherish his eight years of service,” in this HBO special shown live from the stage of Broadway’s Cort Theatre. Ferrell’s impersonation, first created during his years on Saturday Night Live, has earned largely positive reviews during its eight-week run; the political satire is not particularly pointed, but no one captures Bush’s cowboy cadences and Peter Pan jocosity better. And the improvisatory portion of the show, in which Ferrell assigns Bush-style nicknames to audience members based on their occupations, promises to be a highlight. Saturday, March 14, at 9 p.m., HBO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week