ur 43rd president (or a reasonable facsimile thereof, courtesy of Will Ferrell) invites viewers to “remember, celebrate, and cherish his eight years of service,” in this HBO special shown live from the stage of Broadway’s Cort Theatre. Ferrell’s impersonation, first created during his years on Saturday Night Live, has earned largely positive reviews during its eight-week run; the political satire is not particularly pointed, but no one captures Bush’s cowboy cadences and Peter Pan jocosity better. And the improvisatory portion of the show, in which Ferrell assigns Bush-style nicknames to audience members based on their occupations, promises to be a highlight. Saturday, March 14, at 9 p.m., HBO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week