Our 43rd president (or a reasonable facsimile thereof, courtesy of Will Ferrell) invites viewers to “remember, celebrate, and cherish his eight years of service,” in this HBO special shown live from the stage of Broadway’s Cort Theatre. Ferrell’s impersonation, first created during his years on Saturday Night Live, has earned largely positive reviews during its eight-week run; the political satire is not particularly pointed, but no one captures Bush’s cowboy cadences and Peter Pan jocosity better. And the improvisatory portion of the show, in which Ferrell assigns Bush-style nicknames to audience members based on their occupations, promises to be a highlight. Saturday, March 14, at 9 p.m., HBO
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
Subscribe to the Week