Results: We get male! With men experiencing 82 percent of the latest layoffs, we asked you to come up with the name of the first day time talk show—and topic—for new stay-at-home dads. You tuned in with: Maid Men. The Brew (a bunch of guys on bar stools dishing the day’s news). Supermarkets and Supermodels. Welcome to the Vacuum. My Sofa, Myself. Live from Mars. Wait Till Mommy Comes Home. And, for many reasons, The Shaft. We can’t print some of the suggestions for typical topics, but suggestions included: “Starting a rock band.” “Investing your sofa-cushion change.” “Dinner: Will yours satisfy her?” “How to do the laundry so badly she’ll never ask again.” Quite a few entrants suggested that the perfect host for the show—regardless of what it was called—would be none other than Bill Clinton.
FIRST PRIZE: The show: Let’s Not Talk About It.
Today’s topic: “I’ve lost my job and no, I don’t want to talk about it.”
Heather McArdle, Manhattan
SECOND PRIZE: The Martha & Jon Stewart Show
Today: “Recycling: Martha makes wonderful origami animals out of unemployment checks and Jon gives them cute names.’’
G. Kramer, Manhattan
THIRD PRIZE: Joeprah
Today: "What Women Don't Want Us to Know”
Eric E. Wallace, Boise, ID
Today: “Where’d she put it?! And when is the right time to call her?’’
Laure B. Ammering, Rochester, NY
Today: “Everybody gets a sports car!’’
Tom Walker, Manhattan
Macho in the Morning
Today: “Mowing the lawn in your business suit: Networking or just plain nuts?’’
Amy Goldin, Princeton, FL
Five O’Clock Shadow
Today: “Build your dream shanty!’’
Jim Farina, Palatine, IL
Today: “How to drive a mini-van like Steve McQueen’’
Bob Linfors, Miami
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- These 5 far-out space projects are making science fiction a reality
Subscribe to the Week