OOD DAY FOR: Having it your way, after Burger King opened a 22-topping Whopper Bar at its Universal CityWalk location in Orlando. The new restaurant, meant to emulate a sushi bar, allows patrons to order items such as bacon, steak sauce, and guacamole, which workers will the put on the burger for them. Burger King plans to open a half dozen of the bars by the end of the year. (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Everybody knowing your name, after the iconic Boston bar Cheers laid off longtime bartender Eddie Doyle. During Doyle’s 35 years at Cheers, still known as the Bull & Finch by locals, the bar inspired the hit NBC show of the same name, which, after its 1982 debut, turned Doyle and the bar into a big tourist draw. Doyle also raised $1 million for charity. Doyle is “as important as George Washington to this city; he’s that well known,” said former Boston Mayor Raymond Flynn. (The Boston Globe)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week