“Joaquin Phoenix has added another chapter to his wacky post-acting saga,” said Breaanne L. Heldman in E! Online. During his performance late Wednesday night at a club in Miami’s Fontainebleau Hotel, the aspiring rapper jumped offstage and “got into quite a scuffle” with a heckler (watch the video). “Still no word as to whether or not Phoenix's antics are art or reality.”
This is either “an obvious put-on for Casey Affleck's documentary about the downward spiral of a fake rap star,” said Amelie Gillette in The Onion’s A.V. Club, or “Affleck is a callous, cold-hearted person who is making a documentary about Joaquin Phoenix's actual downward spiral” instead of getting him help. But either way, “it's kind of tedious at this point.”
Yes, said Gawker, “the never-ending parade of miseries that is Joaquin Phoenix's is-he-or-isn't-he trip from retiring actor to budding rapper rumbles on.” But “even if it's a tiresome, indulgent meta-joke, we're all at fault for perpetuating what has become an all too real and sad personal history.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- What Pope John Paul II could have learned from Sinead O'Connor
Subscribe to the Week