“Joaquin Phoenix has added another chapter to his wacky post-acting saga,” said Breaanne L. Heldman in E! Online. During his performance late Wednesday night at a club in Miami’s Fontainebleau Hotel, the aspiring rapper jumped offstage and “got into quite a scuffle” with a heckler (watch the video). “Still no word as to whether or not Phoenix's antics are art or reality.”
This is either “an obvious put-on for Casey Affleck's documentary about the downward spiral of a fake rap star,” said Amelie Gillette in The Onion’s A.V. Club, or “Affleck is a callous, cold-hearted person who is making a documentary about Joaquin Phoenix's actual downward spiral” instead of getting him help. But either way, “it's kind of tedious at this point.”
Yes, said Gawker, “the never-ending parade of miseries that is Joaquin Phoenix's is-he-or-isn't-he trip from retiring actor to budding rapper rumbles on.” But “even if it's a tiresome, indulgent meta-joke, we're all at fault for perpetuating what has become an all too real and sad personal history.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
Subscribe to the Week