“Joaquin Phoenix has added another chapter to his wacky post-acting saga,” said Breaanne L. Heldman in E! Online. During his performance late Wednesday night at a club in Miami’s Fontainebleau Hotel, the aspiring rapper jumped offstage and “got into quite a scuffle” with a heckler (watch the video). “Still no word as to whether or not Phoenix's antics are art or reality.”
This is either “an obvious put-on for Casey Affleck's documentary about the downward spiral of a fake rap star,” said Amelie Gillette in The Onion’s A.V. Club, or “Affleck is a callous, cold-hearted person who is making a documentary about Joaquin Phoenix's actual downward spiral” instead of getting him help. But either way, “it's kind of tedious at this point.”
Yes, said Gawker, “the never-ending parade of miseries that is Joaquin Phoenix's is-he-or-isn't-he trip from retiring actor to budding rapper rumbles on.” But “even if it's a tiresome, indulgent meta-joke, we're all at fault for perpetuating what has become an all too real and sad personal history.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week