he loosely linked remake of the 1975 Disney film Escape to Witch Mountain diminishes the original, said David Hiltbrand in The Philadelphia Inquirer. Race to Witch Mountain stars “supersized hero” Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a cab driver recruited to help two on-the-run kids with paranormal powers—and “the result resembles a breezy episode of Power Rangers.” (Watch the trailer)
Race to Witch Mountain “rarely rises above the functional,” said Michael Phillips in the Chicago Tribune, “either as storytelling or as visual kinetics.” But Johnson is “a highly agreeable presence,” and the movie wisely keeps him front and center.
“Sci-fi thrills blend nicely with comedy” in this movie, said Kirk Honeycutt in The Hollywood Reporter. That makes it more than just another family film from the Disney machine. Race to Witch Mountain is “one of Disney's best action movies this side of Jerry Bruckheimer.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week