he loosely linked remake of the 1975 Disney film Escape to Witch Mountain diminishes the original, said David Hiltbrand in The Philadelphia Inquirer. Race to Witch Mountain stars “supersized hero” Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a cab driver recruited to help two on-the-run kids with paranormal powers—and “the result resembles a breezy episode of Power Rangers.” (Watch the trailer)
Race to Witch Mountain “rarely rises above the functional,” said Michael Phillips in the Chicago Tribune, “either as storytelling or as visual kinetics.” But Johnson is “a highly agreeable presence,” and the movie wisely keeps him front and center.
“Sci-fi thrills blend nicely with comedy” in this movie, said Kirk Honeycutt in The Hollywood Reporter. That makes it more than just another family film from the Disney machine. Race to Witch Mountain is “one of Disney's best action movies this side of Jerry Bruckheimer.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week