OOD DAY FOR: Sun sets, after The Wall Street Journal reported that IBM is in talks to buy Sun Microsystems for $6.5 billion. The purchase, at about a 100 percent premium to Sun’s closing price Tuesday, would increase IBM’s already dominant share of the computer server market and present a challenged to rivals such as Hewlett-Packard. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Unattractive lending rates, after a new study found that physical appearance affects if loan applicants are successful at getting credit. The researchers, from Rice University and the University of Washington, studied loans given through peer-to-peer service Prosper.com. A group of volunteers rated how creditworthy loan requesters looked, based entirely on photographs. The ones deemed more trustworthy-looking generally had higher credit scores and better loan success rates. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week