The family of actress Natasha Richardson gathered at a New York hospital, where the actress was taken after suffering a severe head injury while snow skiing in Canada. Richardson was reportedly dependent on artificial life-support with leaked blood between her brain and skull. "There is no chance," a family friend told People magazine. "It is a fact that her heart is beating but she is brain dead." (People)
Richardson’s husband, actor Liam Neeson, and her sister, TV star Joely Richardson, were among those by Richardson’s side. Richardson’s mother, actress Vanessa Redgrave, appeared dazed as she arrived at the New York hospital. Richardson was first treated at two medical facilities in Canada after a seemingly minor fall during a lesson on a “bunny” slope near Montreal. (New York Post)
What a tragic turn for a love story that started on Broadway, said Patrick Huguenin in the New York Daily News. Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson met as stars of the 1993 revival of “Anna Christie.” Before long, they were a couple, and New York fixtures. Now, Broadway may be left to mourn “the ending of one of its favorite love stories.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
Subscribe to the Week