53% of Americans disapprove of the federal government’s giving taxpayer money to banks and other ailing financial institutions, up from 44% who opposed such bailouts in December. Only 37% of Americans approve of the bailouts.
43% of Americans say that losing their local newspaper would greatly hurt civic life in their community. Just 33% say they would personally miss reading the local newspaper if it were no longer available.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week