53% of Americans disapprove of the federal government’s giving taxpayer money to banks and other ailing financial institutions, up from 44% who opposed such bailouts in December. Only 37% of Americans approve of the bailouts.
43% of Americans say that losing their local newspaper would greatly hurt civic life in their community. Just 33% say they would personally miss reading the local newspaper if it were no longer available.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week