53% of Americans disapprove of the federal government’s giving taxpayer money to banks and other ailing financial institutions, up from 44% who opposed such bailouts in December. Only 37% of Americans approve of the bailouts.
43% of Americans say that losing their local newspaper would greatly hurt civic life in their community. Just 33% say they would personally miss reading the local newspaper if it were no longer available.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week