53% of Americans disapprove of the federal government’s giving taxpayer money to banks and other ailing financial institutions, up from 44% who opposed such bailouts in December. Only 37% of Americans approve of the bailouts.
43% of Americans say that losing their local newspaper would greatly hurt civic life in their community. Just 33% say they would personally miss reading the local newspaper if it were no longer available.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week