onday, March 23
Geoffrey Rush won a Best Actor Oscar for this film, inspired by the life story of David Helfgott, the Australian music prodigy who made a comeback as a concert pianist after a mental breakdown. 8 p.m., IFC
Harrison Ford is a Philadelphia cop who goes into hiding in Amish country with the young witness to a murder. With Kelly McGillis as the boy’s mother. 10 a.m., AMC
The Usual Suspects (1995)
Five men plot a drug heist at the behest of a mysterious mastermind—but all is not as it seems in this twisty thriller. Kevin Spacey won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. 8 a.m., TMC
Things to Come (1936)
H.G. Wells’ sci-fi classic predicts a century of events in the aftermath of a global war in 1940. With Raymond Massey and spectacular production design. 10 p.m., TCM
Four Oscars, including Best Director (Steven Soderbergh) and Supporting Actor (Benicio Del Toro) went to this ensemble drama, which portrays the international drug trade from four different perspectives. Midnight, Showtime
Ocean’s Thirteen (2007)
In a far lighter vein than Traffic, Steven Soderbergh also directed this heist comedy, in which Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his cohorts take on a corrupt casino kingpin (Al Pacino). 10:30 p.m., HBO
The Last Metro (1980)
In Nazi-occupied Paris, a wife is torn between her Jewish theater director husband and an actor in their troupe. Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu star. 8:45 a.m., IFC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week