Results: Aw, you shouldn’t have… In light of the President’s rather generic gift to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and family (model Marine One helicopters for the boys, a DVD gift set for the parents), we asked what Obama could give that represents the U.S. in a more distinctive way. You presented us with: AIG stock, a sub-prime loan, 1000 hours of Bernie Madoff’s community service, an IOU, a rubber check, an empty piggy bank and, saving the best for last, a year’s subscription to The Week. You also came up with:
FIRST PRIZE: A foreclosed vacation home with a Hummer in the driveway.
Jim Ashe, Phillipsburg, NJ
SECOND PRIZE: A bonus of $160 million, paid for by U.S. taxpayers
Morgan Booksh, Austin, TX (first of many such submissions)
THIRD PRIZE: Detroit.
Bruce Gerber, Coventry, CT
A sub-prime loan.
Nikhil Gehani, West Bloomfield, MI
Mike Murray, Flushing, NY
A Costco membership.
Lesley Smith, Hermosa Beach, CA
An unemployment check, an outrageous medical bill, and a Wii game.
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
A pack of Marlboros, a John Deere baseball cap, and 35 extra pounds.
Alan Limke, Cincinnati
An SUV with an empty gas tank and a Wal-Mart gift card.
Greg Ourednik, Mason, OH
A tasteful velvet painting of Tim Geithner, Bernie Madoff, and Rush Limbaugh playing poker.
Joel Schmidt, Pleasanton, CA
A Visiting Head of State Tax Bill.
Elinor Weldgen, Williamson, NY
A few newly minted trillion dollar bills.
Bob Lane, Oshkosh, WI
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
Subscribe to the Week