OOD DAY FOR: People with leg ulcers, after a British study found that the standard treatment for the ulcers—a gel—works as well and costs roughly the same as an alternative treatment, maggots. Both treatments remove dead tissue from the surface of the ulcer, promoting healing. (U.S. News & World Report)
BAD DAY FOR: Main Street Greenwich, as the layoffs and losses at hedge funds and Wall Street banks are being felt on the Connecticut town’s Greenwich Avenue, known as the Rodeo Drive of the Northeast. Several high-end stores are packing up amid sharply declining sales. Home prices in Greenwich—the U.S. hedge fund capital—have also taken a plunge, falling 77 percent in February. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week