The U.S. is trying to destabilize Pakistan and Iran, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. The Obama administration is talking about expanding its Predator drone raids from the tribal areas, where the drones supposedly bomb suspected Taliban hideouts, to Balochistan province, which borders Iran. Already, there are “sinister goings-on” in Balochistan, as CIA “cash, weapons, and agents” infest the region. The Iranians are convinced that “this strategically located province has become the Americans’ launching pad” from which to infiltrate the Iranian region of Sistan-Balochistan. The Americans may say they are merely hunting al Qaida and Taliban. In reality, though, they are playing “a vicious double game.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week