The U.S. is trying to destabilize Pakistan and Iran, said the Peshawar Frontier Post in an editorial. The Obama administration is talking about expanding its Predator drone raids from the tribal areas, where the drones supposedly bomb suspected Taliban hideouts, to Balochistan province, which borders Iran. Already, there are “sinister goings-on” in Balochistan, as CIA “cash, weapons, and agents” infest the region. The Iranians are convinced that “this strategically located province has become the Americans’ launching pad” from which to infiltrate the Iranian region of Sistan-Balochistan. The Americans may say they are merely hunting al Qaida and Taliban. In reality, though, they are playing “a vicious double game.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
Subscribe to the Week