The 3 a.m. Fox News show “Red Eye” “bashed the Canadian military” last week, said Alexander Panetta in the Winnipeg Free Press, but it was Fox that beat a “strategic retreat” with an apology Monday. Host Greg Gutfeld and his panel of “jokesters” caused an uproar with a segment ridiculing the Canadian military for planning a one-year hiatus from combat in Afghanistan—“to do yoga,” Gutfeld joked, before suggesting the U.S. invade “ridiculous” Canada. (Watch clip)
Oh, lighten up, Canada, said Canadian journalist Kathy Shaidle in her blog. Gutfeld is a “rare thing: a talented conservative humorist,” and it’s “pathetic” that Canada’s Conservative government demanded an apology for his stating of an “unpleasant truth” about our underfunded military (not our soldiers). Honestly, “the yoga jokes write themselves.”
“Canadians are a humorous people,” said Canada’s Langley Advance in an editorial, and we don’t mind a good joke at our expense. But what Fox News did “just wasn’t funny.” Canada has lost 116 troops in Afghanistan, including four last week, and Gutfeld’s mockery of our troops “was shocking in its insensitivity and outright stupidity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- In defense of family dinner
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week