“Okay, there's definitely something in the water,” said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. Bruce Willis just married his “Demi Moore clone,” Emma Heming. Then Harrison Ford proposed “to longtime love Calista Flockhart.” And now David Letterman has announced (watch the video) that he finally married Regina Lasko, whom he has dated since 1986 and who is the mother of his 5-year-old son. What took Letterman so long to get married? “What is it with men?”
Well, after announcing his marriage on his show Monday night, said Matthew Gilbert in The Boston Globe, Letterman joked, “We wanted to make sure we got the prenup just right." Who knows why they waited so long. But you “gotta hand it to Dave: He managed to scoop his own gossip for his own show.”
And it certainly is a big scoop, said Bob Sassone in AOL’s TV Squad. In fact, “I just checked the Weather Channel and it does indeed look like hell has frozen over.” Letterman has always said that his first marriage was a mistake, and that “he didn't want to ruin the good thing he had going with his girlfriend.” Maybe getting older and having a kid has changed his perspective—let’s just hope retirement isn’t next.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week