“Okay, there's definitely something in the water,” said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. Bruce Willis just married his “Demi Moore clone,” Emma Heming. Then Harrison Ford proposed “to longtime love Calista Flockhart.” And now David Letterman has announced (watch the video) that he finally married Regina Lasko, whom he has dated since 1986 and who is the mother of his 5-year-old son. What took Letterman so long to get married? “What is it with men?”
Well, after announcing his marriage on his show Monday night, said Matthew Gilbert in The Boston Globe, Letterman joked, “We wanted to make sure we got the prenup just right." Who knows why they waited so long. But you “gotta hand it to Dave: He managed to scoop his own gossip for his own show.”
And it certainly is a big scoop, said Bob Sassone in AOL’s TV Squad. In fact, “I just checked the Weather Channel and it does indeed look like hell has frozen over.” Letterman has always said that his first marriage was a mistake, and that “he didn't want to ruin the good thing he had going with his girlfriend.” Maybe getting older and having a kid has changed his perspective—let’s just hope retirement isn’t next.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week