“Okay, there's definitely something in the water,” said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. Bruce Willis just married his “Demi Moore clone,” Emma Heming. Then Harrison Ford proposed “to longtime love Calista Flockhart.” And now David Letterman has announced (watch the video) that he finally married Regina Lasko, whom he has dated since 1986 and who is the mother of his 5-year-old son. What took Letterman so long to get married? “What is it with men?”
Well, after announcing his marriage on his show Monday night, said Matthew Gilbert in The Boston Globe, Letterman joked, “We wanted to make sure we got the prenup just right." Who knows why they waited so long. But you “gotta hand it to Dave: He managed to scoop his own gossip for his own show.”
And it certainly is a big scoop, said Bob Sassone in AOL’s TV Squad. In fact, “I just checked the Weather Channel and it does indeed look like hell has frozen over.” Letterman has always said that his first marriage was a mistake, and that “he didn't want to ruin the good thing he had going with his girlfriend.” Maybe getting older and having a kid has changed his perspective—let’s just hope retirement isn’t next.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- 10 things you need to know today: August 21, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The fascinating political evolution of Paul Ryan
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week