“Okay, there's definitely something in the water,” said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times. Bruce Willis just married his “Demi Moore clone,” Emma Heming. Then Harrison Ford proposed “to longtime love Calista Flockhart.” And now David Letterman has announced (watch the video) that he finally married Regina Lasko, whom he has dated since 1986 and who is the mother of his 5-year-old son. What took Letterman so long to get married? “What is it with men?”
Well, after announcing his marriage on his show Monday night, said Matthew Gilbert in The Boston Globe, Letterman joked, “We wanted to make sure we got the prenup just right." Who knows why they waited so long. But you “gotta hand it to Dave: He managed to scoop his own gossip for his own show.”
And it certainly is a big scoop, said Bob Sassone in AOL’s TV Squad. In fact, “I just checked the Weather Channel and it does indeed look like hell has frozen over.” Letterman has always said that his first marriage was a mistake, and that “he didn't want to ruin the good thing he had going with his girlfriend.” Maybe getting older and having a kid has changed his perspective—let’s just hope retirement isn’t next.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week