he son of poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week in Alaska, 46 years after his mother died at her own hand. Nicholas Hughes, whose father was poet Ted Hughes, was a professor of ocean sciences. “He had been battling depression for some time,” said his sister. Six years after Plath gassed herself to death, Ted Hughes’ mistress also killed herself and her daughter with Hughes by flooding their home with gas fumes. Nicholas Hughes committed suicide by hanging himself.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- Poll: Twice as many Americans say sugar is more harmful than marijuana
Subscribe to the Week