he son of poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week in Alaska, 46 years after his mother died at her own hand. Nicholas Hughes, whose father was poet Ted Hughes, was a professor of ocean sciences. “He had been battling depression for some time,” said his sister. Six years after Plath gassed herself to death, Ted Hughes’ mistress also killed herself and her daughter with Hughes by flooding their home with gas fumes. Nicholas Hughes committed suicide by hanging himself.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
Subscribe to the Week