he son of poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week in Alaska, 46 years after his mother died at her own hand. Nicholas Hughes, whose father was poet Ted Hughes, was a professor of ocean sciences. “He had been battling depression for some time,” said his sister. Six years after Plath gassed herself to death, Ted Hughes’ mistress also killed herself and her daughter with Hughes by flooding their home with gas fumes. Nicholas Hughes committed suicide by hanging himself.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week