The son of poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week in Alaska, 46 years after his mother died at her own hand. Nicholas Hughes, whose father was poet Ted Hughes, was a professor of ocean sciences. “He had been battling depression for some time,” said his sister. Six years after Plath gassed herself to death, Ted Hughes’ mistress also killed herself and her daughter with Hughes by flooding their home with gas fumes. Nicholas Hughes committed suicide by hanging himself.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week