The son of poet Sylvia Plath committed suicide last week in Alaska, 46 years after his mother died at her own hand. Nicholas Hughes, whose father was poet Ted Hughes, was a professor of ocean sciences. “He had been battling depression for some time,” said his sister. Six years after Plath gassed herself to death, Ted Hughes’ mistress also killed herself and her daughter with Hughes by flooding their home with gas fumes. Nicholas Hughes committed suicide by hanging himself.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week