“Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.”
Aphorist Doug Larson, quoted in the Montreal Gazette
“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
Financial writer Peter F. Drucker, quoted in the Charlotte, N.C., Observer
“The reason worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.”
Robert Frost, quoted in the Melbourne Age
“Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.” Arthur Miller, quoted in The San Diego Union-Tribune
“Many a man owes his success to his first wife and his second wife to his success.”
Actor Jim Backus, quoted in the London Daily Telegraph
“Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or doing it better.”
John Updike, quoted in United Press International
“Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: You find the present tense, but the past perfect.”
Historian Owens Pomeroy, quoted in the Melbourne Herald Sun
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week