Too fat for the armed services
One in five military-age Americans is too fat to join the armed services. Though recruiters are scrambling to fill quotas, the military has turned away 48,000 overweight applicants since 2005—a number greater than all the U.S. troops fighting in Afghanistan.
Seniors winning entry-level job race
The recession has sparked intense competition between young and old for entry-level jobs in stores, supermarkets, and fast-food restaurants—and the seniors seem to be winning. The number of employed Americans ages 16 to 24 has fallen by 2 million over the past two years, while the number of workers 65 and over has risen by 700,000.
The New York Times
George W. Bush at work on memoir
Former President George W. Bush is writing about 1,500 words a day for his memoir, which will explain how he decided to send troops to Iraq, his response to Hurricane Katrina, the formation of his stem-cell policy, and his relationship with his father.
Green thumbs at the White House
Michelle Obama, who broke ground on a plot for vegetables last week, is not the first White House gardener. John Adams defrayed the cost of feeding guests with his own vegetable garden. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt’s vegetable garden helped inspire 20 million World War II “victory gardens,” which produced 40 percent of the nation’s produce.
Past behavior disqualities potential nominees
Of the 373 Obama administration jobs that require Senate confirmation, only 43 have been filled. Many potential nominees have been disqualified because of tax or nanny problems or other blemishes on their records.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week