ood week for:
Dedication, after an Italian doctor continued performing brain surgery on a patient while having a heart attack. “I’m not a hero,” said Claudio Vitale, who had angioplasty after he finished the operation. “I couldn’t leave at such a delicate moment.”
Mothers of teenage boys, after a Japanese astronaut spending three months aboard the International Space Station began testing chemically treated underwear that doesn’t get stinky even if worn for a week. “Nobody has complained,” said astronaut Koichi Wakata, “so I think it’s so far, so good.”
Japan, which won its second straight World Baseball Classic tournament, beating the U.S. team in the semifinal and South Korea in the final. “Asian baseball may be increasingly reconsidered as the birthplace of baseball,” gloated the newspaper Nikkei.
Bad week for:
Taking responsibility, after a 62-year-old woman accused of stealing $73,000 from her Arlington, Wash., church allegedly told detectives, “Satan had a big part in the theft.”
Feminism, after a new poll found that 25 percent of young women questioned would rather win first prize on America’s Next Top Model than the Nobel Peace Prize. Half said they’d marry an ugly man if he were rich.
The McInnes family of Hungerford, U.K., which discovered that 18-year-old Rory had painted a 60-foot penis on the roof of the family home to see if it would show up on Google Earth. A helicopter pilot noticed, and when flummoxed father Andy McInnes asked Rory why there was a giant penis on the roof, the teen said, “Oh, you’ve found it, then.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
- The underwhelming, undercooked True Detective finale
Subscribe to the Week