Fox News is going on offense, said Howard Kurtz in The Washington Post. With the launch of The Fox Nation, an opinionated website, Fox is hoping to “leverage its brand online, especially among conservative true believers,” by broadening the reach of “high-decibel” stars such as Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck to an online audience. Maybe Fox's right-leaning brand can tap into anti-administration anger the way MSNBC gained in the ratings by “moving sharply left” during the Bush years.
So, with the launch of The Fox Nation, Fox is finally and officially seceding from the union, said media blog News Corpse. The excuse is Obama’ allegedly “neo-Socialist” path. But “it was just a matter of time. With all of the white-hot, ultra-hyperbolic invective radiating from Fox News screens across the land, there was really no escaping the obvious end game.”
Of course the rabid Fox News Channel haters are “going nuts,” said Cathryn Friar in Right Pundits. The Fox Nation’s tagline—“It's time to say NO to biased media and say YES to fair play and free speech"— is "red meat for those on the Left who hate Fox!" Let's hope Fox can show the people who scream about FNC’s so-called bias, while applauding the “extreme pro-Obama coverage” in the rest of the media, what truly open dialogue looks like.
It's not like Fox will be taking a position on the issues, said Grover Norquist in FoxNews.com. Fox Nation will be a forum where all Americans can speak out on important issues. That gives this website "the potential to do to the Internet what Fox News did to cable television. That is, be a disruptive, transformative—but also profoundly constructive—media force."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week