Vice President Joe Biden’s daughter, Ashley, might want to pick her friends more carefully, said Joanna Molloy in the New York Daily News. One so-called buddy is trying to sell video that allegedly shows her snorting cocaine. Nobody knows whether the footage is real—but "now that daddy's the No. 2 man in the government" Ashley Biden should "know she's a target for people looking to make a quick buck at her expense.”
It wouldn't be a shocker if the brown-haired woman at the Wilmington, Del., house party turned out to be the young Biden, said Owen Thomas in Gawker. Ashley Biden is a social worker these days, but “she wasn't always a goodie-two-shoes." She was arrested in 2002, at 21, on a misdemeanor charge of obstructing police “in a brawl outside a Chicago bar.”
If the 90 seconds of the 43-minute tape viewed by the New York Post is genuine, said Mike Baron in the Post Chronicle, the 27-year-old daughter of the vice president and Jill Biden is in big trouble. This “is particularly distressful considering her father has been a crusader against drugs”—it was Joe Biden who in 1982 “coined the phrase 'drug czar.’”
The woman in the tape does look like Ashley Biden, said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times, but “so do a few million other girls.” There are several inconsistencies regarding the “source, veracity, and the identity of the person" in the hidden-camera tape, and the Washington lawyer who represented the tape’s owner has quit. This could be “a political faux blow.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week