ood day for: Getting laid off, as Ford and GM are offering to cover some payments for car buyers who lose their jobs. Hoping to reassure people afraid to buy in a sour economy, Ford will make payments of up to $700 a month for a year. (AP in Yahoo Finance)
Bad day for inventors, as a 28-year-old Ohio man, Kyle Wygle, was charged with drunken driving after he crashed a motorized bar-stool he built using lawnmower parts. (AP in USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week