“Uh oh!” said Hilary Lewis in The Business Insider. A “DVD-quality rip” of Fox’s first big summer film—X-Men Origins: Wolverine—has been leaked online, just a month before its official release date. “It's likely this early release will have a major impact on Wolverine's opening weekend box office.” (watch the trailer)
There hasn’t been “a piracy leak even approaching this magnitude” in quite some time, said Josh Tyler in Cinema Blend. But I don’t think it will have “any real impact on box office receipts.” Nothing tops watching a movie in a theater—“just because you have the MP3 doesn’t mean you don’t go to the concert.”
Who knows how this leak will effect Wolverine’s box office numbers, said Rick Marshall in MTV.com. But it’s important to keep in mind that the version online “isn’t the final cut of the film”—there might be “significant differences in plot points between the bootleg film and its theater-ready counterpart.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week