“Uh oh!” said Hilary Lewis in The Business Insider. A “DVD-quality rip” of Fox’s first big summer film—X-Men Origins: Wolverine—has been leaked online, just a month before its official release date. “It's likely this early release will have a major impact on Wolverine's opening weekend box office.” (watch the trailer)
There hasn’t been “a piracy leak even approaching this magnitude” in quite some time, said Josh Tyler in Cinema Blend. But I don’t think it will have “any real impact on box office receipts.” Nothing tops watching a movie in a theater—“just because you have the MP3 doesn’t mean you don’t go to the concert.”
Who knows how this leak will effect Wolverine’s box office numbers, said Rick Marshall in MTV.com. But it’s important to keep in mind that the version online “isn’t the final cut of the film”—there might be “significant differences in plot points between the bootleg film and its theater-ready counterpart.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week