Good week for:
Visualizing world peace, after Miss Universe paid a visit to the Guantánamo Bay military base and declared it “a loooot of fun!” After seeing the detainee camps and recreation areas, Dayana Mendoza of Venezuela said, “I didn’t want to leave, it was such a relaxing place, so calm and beautiful.”
Quick thinking, after a woman caught driving 103 mph on an Oregon road with her 10-year-old grandson in the car explained to police that she was only trying to teach the boy never to drive that fast.
Parochialism, after American reporters traveling to Europe with President Obama were given a briefing book informing them that Germany is “about the size of Montana,” the Czech Republic is “about the size of Virginia,” and the U.K. is “slightly smaller than Oregon.”
Bad week for:
Having God as your co-pilot, after a Tunisian pilot was sentenced to 10 years in prison because he paused to pray instead of taking emergency measures before crash-landing his plane, killing 16 people.
Life imitating art, after an Iowa 13-year-old was arrested for biting 11 kids at his school. His father said he meant no harm, but was obsessed with the vampire movie Twilight.
Realism, after an Ontario woman became terrified by a cardboard cutout of a coyote that had been set up in a park to scare away geese. The coyote, she said, “barked” at her as she jogged by, and she fled in panic and called 911 to report a wild animal on the prowl. Police surrounded the coyote before realizing it wasn’t real.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week