A Malawian court this week at least temporarily delayed Madonna’s adoption of a second child from the orphanage where she adopted her 3-year-old son, David. The ruling came after the 4-year-old girl’s grandmother challenged the pop star for custody. “Why doesn’t this singer pick other children?” said Lucy Chekechiwa. “It is stealing.” A local advocacy group accused Madonna of “behaving like a bully” in her efforts to fast-track the adoption.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
Subscribe to the Week