Abortions and vasectomies increase
Planned Parenthood clinics are reporting big increases in the number of abortions and vasectomies because recession-battered couples feel they cannot afford another mouth to feed. “They’re telling us, ‘I’ve already put off paying my rent, my electric bill,’” said Stephanie Poggi, whose organization helps women pay for abortions. “They’ve run through all the options.”
Pets cause 86,000 emergency room visits a year
More than 86,000 Americans go to the emergency room each year because of falls caused by pets, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dogs cause 88 percent of the injuries and cats 11.7 percent.
Celebrities hire ghostwriters for Twitter feeds
Some celebrities are hiring ghostwriters to write Twitter feeds to fans. Britney Spears, politician Ron Paul, and rappers Kanye West and 50 Cent are among those who have staffers writing their Twitter posts, or “Tweets.” “He doesn’t actually use Twitter,” said Chris Romero, 50 Cent’s ghostwriter, “but the energy of (his Tweets) is all him.”
The New York Times
AIG bailout surpasses annual GDP of the Philippines
The AIG bailout has reached $186 billion so far, significantly greater than the annual GDP of the Philippines, home to 96 million people.
Federal agencies experience boom in job applications
The CIA, EPA, and other federal agencies are experiencing a boom in job applications from college seniors, due to private-sector woes and Barack Obama’s popularity among young people.
The Washington Post
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week