Abortions and vasectomies increase
Planned Parenthood clinics are reporting big increases in the number of abortions and vasectomies because recession-battered couples feel they cannot afford another mouth to feed. “They’re telling us, ‘I’ve already put off paying my rent, my electric bill,’” said Stephanie Poggi, whose organization helps women pay for abortions. “They’ve run through all the options.”
Pets cause 86,000 emergency room visits a year
More than 86,000 Americans go to the emergency room each year because of falls caused by pets, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dogs cause 88 percent of the injuries and cats 11.7 percent.
Celebrities hire ghostwriters for Twitter feeds
Some celebrities are hiring ghostwriters to write Twitter feeds to fans. Britney Spears, politician Ron Paul, and rappers Kanye West and 50 Cent are among those who have staffers writing their Twitter posts, or “Tweets.” “He doesn’t actually use Twitter,” said Chris Romero, 50 Cent’s ghostwriter, “but the energy of (his Tweets) is all him.”
The New York Times
AIG bailout surpasses annual GDP of the Philippines
The AIG bailout has reached $186 billion so far, significantly greater than the annual GDP of the Philippines, home to 96 million people.
Federal agencies experience boom in job applications
The CIA, EPA, and other federal agencies are experiencing a boom in job applications from college seniors, due to private-sector woes and Barack Obama’s popularity among young people.
The Washington Post
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week