Two decades ago, NOVA began following the careers of seven doctors, starting with their first day at Harvard Medical School. Now this two-part documentary takes a final, intimate look at them in their 40s. The diverse group includes an iconoclastic emergency physician who’s on his fourth marriage, an idealist dedicated to working with the poor, and an anesthesiologist cultivating a passion for golf. In key moments culled from 700 hours of video footage, their personalities are thrown into relief by times of triumph and heartbreak, generating real-life drama as compelling as anything portrayed on ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Tuesdays, April 7 and 14, at 8 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- In defense of family dinner
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week