Two decades ago, NOVA began following the careers of seven doctors, starting with their first day at Harvard Medical School. Now this two-part documentary takes a final, intimate look at them in their 40s. The diverse group includes an iconoclastic emergency physician who’s on his fourth marriage, an idealist dedicated to working with the poor, and an anesthesiologist cultivating a passion for golf. In key moments culled from 700 hours of video footage, their personalities are thrown into relief by times of triumph and heartbreak, generating real-life drama as compelling as anything portrayed on ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Tuesdays, April 7 and 14, at 8 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week