wo decades ago, NOVA began following the careers of seven doctors, starting with their first day at Harvard Medical School. Now this two-part documentary takes a final, intimate look at them in their 40s. The diverse group includes an iconoclastic emergency physician who’s on his fourth marriage, an idealist dedicated to working with the poor, and an anesthesiologist cultivating a passion for golf. In key moments culled from 700 hours of video footage, their personalities are thrown into relief by times of triumph and heartbreak, generating real-life drama as compelling as anything portrayed on ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Tuesdays, April 7 and 14, at 8 p.m., PBS; check local listings
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- These 5 far-out space projects are making science fiction a reality
Subscribe to the Week