Two decades ago, NOVA began following the careers of seven doctors, starting with their first day at Harvard Medical School. Now this two-part documentary takes a final, intimate look at them in their 40s. The diverse group includes an iconoclastic emergency physician who’s on his fourth marriage, an idealist dedicated to working with the poor, and an anesthesiologist cultivating a passion for golf. In key moments culled from 700 hours of video footage, their personalities are thrown into relief by times of triumph and heartbreak, generating real-life drama as compelling as anything portrayed on ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Tuesdays, April 7 and 14, at 8 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week