wo decades ago, NOVA began following the careers of seven doctors, starting with their first day at Harvard Medical School. Now this two-part documentary takes a final, intimate look at them in their 40s. The diverse group includes an iconoclastic emergency physician who’s on his fourth marriage, an idealist dedicated to working with the poor, and an anesthesiologist cultivating a passion for golf. In key moments culled from 700 hours of video footage, their personalities are thrown into relief by times of triumph and heartbreak, generating real-life drama as compelling as anything portrayed on ER or Grey’s Anatomy. Tuesdays, April 7 and 14, at 8 p.m., PBS; check local listings
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week