Quantum of Solace
Picking up moments after 2006’s Casino Royale left off, this film follows James Bond’s attempt to avenge his murdered lover, said the Los Angeles Times. Daniel Craig’s “humanly flawed” 007 might disappoint some “classic Bond” fans, but Marc Forster has made a “solid action movie.”
Pre-Code Forbidden Hollywood Collection
This collection represents Hollywood before it went “moralistic,” said the Baltimore Sun. These six “wonderfully tawdry, wonderfully tarty” films, including 1931’s The Cheat and 1934’s Murder at the Vanities, recall a time when directors dared to push the envelope.
In Treatment: Season One
There’s a reason Gabriel Byrne took home a Golden Globe for his role in HBO’s In Treatment, said Film.com. In the captivating drama, he pulls off a quiet balance as a therapist working with five troubled patients as he deals with his own personal demons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Yes, the Federal Reserve is politicized — and that's a good thing
- Is Amazon a monopoly?
Subscribe to the Week