Quantum of Solace
Picking up moments after 2006’s Casino Royale left off, this film follows James Bond’s attempt to avenge his murdered lover, said the Los Angeles Times. Daniel Craig’s “humanly flawed” 007 might disappoint some “classic Bond” fans, but Marc Forster has made a “solid action movie.”
Pre-Code Forbidden Hollywood Collection
This collection represents Hollywood before it went “moralistic,” said the Baltimore Sun. These six “wonderfully tawdry, wonderfully tarty” films, including 1931’s The Cheat and 1934’s Murder at the Vanities, recall a time when directors dared to push the envelope.
In Treatment: Season One
There’s a reason Gabriel Byrne took home a Golden Globe for his role in HBO’s In Treatment, said Film.com. In the captivating drama, he pulls off a quiet balance as a therapist working with five troubled patients as he deals with his own personal demons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week