Quantum of Solace
Picking up moments after 2006’s Casino Royale left off, this film follows James Bond’s attempt to avenge his murdered lover, said the Los Angeles Times. Daniel Craig’s “humanly flawed” 007 might disappoint some “classic Bond” fans, but Marc Forster has made a “solid action movie.”
Pre-Code Forbidden Hollywood Collection
This collection represents Hollywood before it went “moralistic,” said the Baltimore Sun. These six “wonderfully tawdry, wonderfully tarty” films, including 1931’s The Cheat and 1934’s Murder at the Vanities, recall a time when directors dared to push the envelope.
In Treatment: Season One
There’s a reason Gabriel Byrne took home a Golden Globe for his role in HBO’s In Treatment, said Film.com. In the captivating drama, he pulls off a quiet balance as a therapist working with five troubled patients as he deals with his own personal demons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week