Quantum of Solace
Picking up moments after 2006’s Casino Royale left off, this film follows James Bond’s attempt to avenge his murdered lover, said the Los Angeles Times. Daniel Craig’s “humanly flawed” 007 might disappoint some “classic Bond” fans, but Marc Forster has made a “solid action movie.”
Pre-Code Forbidden Hollywood Collection
This collection represents Hollywood before it went “moralistic,” said the Baltimore Sun. These six “wonderfully tawdry, wonderfully tarty” films, including 1931’s The Cheat and 1934’s Murder at the Vanities, recall a time when directors dared to push the envelope.
In Treatment: Season One
There’s a reason Gabriel Byrne took home a Golden Globe for his role in HBO’s In Treatment, said Film.com. In the captivating drama, he pulls off a quiet balance as a therapist working with five troubled patients as he deals with his own personal demons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week