Quantum of Solace
Picking up moments after 2006’s Casino Royale left off, this film follows James Bond’s attempt to avenge his murdered lover, said the Los Angeles Times. Daniel Craig’s “humanly flawed” 007 might disappoint some “classic Bond” fans, but Marc Forster has made a “solid action movie.”
Pre-Code Forbidden Hollywood Collection
This collection represents Hollywood before it went “moralistic,” said the Baltimore Sun. These six “wonderfully tawdry, wonderfully tarty” films, including 1931’s The Cheat and 1934’s Murder at the Vanities, recall a time when directors dared to push the envelope.
In Treatment: Season One
There’s a reason Gabriel Byrne took home a Golden Globe for his role in HBO’s In Treatment, said Film.com. In the captivating drama, he pulls off a quiet balance as a therapist working with five troubled patients as he deals with his own personal demons.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why colleges' insistence on 'diversity' actually fails disadvantaged kids
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week