endingclub.com is a “person-to-person” lending site, promising better rates than those found at a bank. Borrowers set up profiles, share their stories, and obtain loans from willing individuals at a rate calculated by the site.
Prosper.com is similar to Lending Club, but sets interest rates differently. Borrowers choose a maximum rate, which lenders then “bid down” in an auction. Currently in a “quiet period” required for SEC approval.
Virginmoneyus.com manages loans, but doesn’t pair up borrowers and lenders. Rather, it’s a “resource” for friends and family members who are looking to lend money to one another but are unfamiliar with the formalities and paperwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week