Lendingclub.com is a “person-to-person” lending site, promising better rates than those found at a bank. Borrowers set up profiles, share their stories, and obtain loans from willing individuals at a rate calculated by the site.
Prosper.com is similar to Lending Club, but sets interest rates differently. Borrowers choose a maximum rate, which lenders then “bid down” in an auction. Currently in a “quiet period” required for SEC approval.
Virginmoneyus.com manages loans, but doesn’t pair up borrowers and lenders. Rather, it’s a “resource” for friends and family members who are looking to lend money to one another but are unfamiliar with the formalities and paperwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week