Lendingclub.com is a “person-to-person” lending site, promising better rates than those found at a bank. Borrowers set up profiles, share their stories, and obtain loans from willing individuals at a rate calculated by the site.
Prosper.com is similar to Lending Club, but sets interest rates differently. Borrowers choose a maximum rate, which lenders then “bid down” in an auction. Currently in a “quiet period” required for SEC approval.
Virginmoneyus.com manages loans, but doesn’t pair up borrowers and lenders. Rather, it’s a “resource” for friends and family members who are looking to lend money to one another but are unfamiliar with the formalities and paperwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- The week's best photojournalism
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week