Lendingclub.com is a “person-to-person” lending site, promising better rates than those found at a bank. Borrowers set up profiles, share their stories, and obtain loans from willing individuals at a rate calculated by the site.
Prosper.com is similar to Lending Club, but sets interest rates differently. Borrowers choose a maximum rate, which lenders then “bid down” in an auction. Currently in a “quiet period” required for SEC approval.
Virginmoneyus.com manages loans, but doesn’t pair up borrowers and lenders. Rather, it’s a “resource” for friends and family members who are looking to lend money to one another but are unfamiliar with the formalities and paperwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week