endingclub.com is a “person-to-person” lending site, promising better rates than those found at a bank. Borrowers set up profiles, share their stories, and obtain loans from willing individuals at a rate calculated by the site.
Prosper.com is similar to Lending Club, but sets interest rates differently. Borrowers choose a maximum rate, which lenders then “bid down” in an auction. Currently in a “quiet period” required for SEC approval.
Virginmoneyus.com manages loans, but doesn’t pair up borrowers and lenders. Rather, it’s a “resource” for friends and family members who are looking to lend money to one another but are unfamiliar with the formalities and paperwork.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week