Get ready to cringe, said the BuzzSugar entertainment blog. A trailer for "Bruno"—"Borat" creator Sacha Baron Cohen's new movie—is finally available online. (watch the "Bruno" trailer—but not at work) The trailer "is by turns silly, uncomfortable, ridiculous, and downright horrifying"—industry officials have preliminarily rated "Bruno" NC-17. Bottom line: "You gotta see it."
If you choose to watch, said Erik Davis in Cinematical, "prepare to divert your eyes." Sacha Baron Cohen has "upped the ante considerably" since introducing "Borat" in 2006. The first trailer for "Bruno"—about a flamboyantly gay Austrian fashion reporter—is "just nasty," but in a way that will have folks "rolling in the aisles of their local movie theater come July 10."
Until then, Baron Cohen fans can "sleep easy," said David Jenkins in Time Out London. "Bruno" has the "nudity, bigotry, pratfalls," and confrontations with real-life Southern good ol' boys that everyone who saw "Borat" will expect. The question is whether Baron Cohen will move on now that he has milked his big three characters—Borat, Ali G, and Bruno—or "head down to the basement to concoct another foul creation with which to take the mickey out of more gullible rubes."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week