Get ready to cringe, said the BuzzSugar entertainment blog. A trailer for "Bruno"—"Borat" creator Sacha Baron Cohen's new movie—is finally available online. (watch the "Bruno" trailer—but not at work) The trailer "is by turns silly, uncomfortable, ridiculous, and downright horrifying"—industry officials have preliminarily rated "Bruno" NC-17. Bottom line: "You gotta see it."
If you choose to watch, said Erik Davis in Cinematical, "prepare to divert your eyes." Sacha Baron Cohen has "upped the ante considerably" since introducing "Borat" in 2006. The first trailer for "Bruno"—about a flamboyantly gay Austrian fashion reporter—is "just nasty," but in a way that will have folks "rolling in the aisles of their local movie theater come July 10."
Until then, Baron Cohen fans can "sleep easy," said David Jenkins in Time Out London. "Bruno" has the "nudity, bigotry, pratfalls," and confrontations with real-life Southern good ol' boys that everyone who saw "Borat" will expect. The question is whether Baron Cohen will move on now that he has milked his big three characters—Borat, Ali G, and Bruno—or "head down to the basement to concoct another foul creation with which to take the mickey out of more gullible rubes."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- You're reheating pizza wrong
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week