Since 1971, American has been living high on “nothing more than bits of paper,” said Muhim Iqbal Khan in Pakistan’s Ausaf (via Watching America). To protect this fraudulent currency “shell game,” America persuaded Saudi Arabia and OPEC to use its “fake dollars” as the currency for oil. When Saddam Hussein started selling oil in euros, American overthrew him. Now Iran is threatening the “Great Satan” by abandoning the dollar, thus turning “the idols of American pride and conceit to dust.” America beware: “When the real value of these fake dollars is revealed to whole world, America will see only darkness everywhere.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week