ince 1971, American has been living high on “nothing more than bits of paper,” said Muhim Iqbal Khan in Pakistan’s Ausaf (via Watching America). To protect this fraudulent currency “shell game,” America persuaded Saudi Arabia and OPEC to use its “fake dollars” as the currency for oil. When Saddam Hussein started selling oil in euros, American overthrew him. Now Iran is threatening the “Great Satan” by abandoning the dollar, thus turning “the idols of American pride and conceit to dust.” America beware: “When the real value of these fake dollars is revealed to whole world, America will see only darkness everywhere.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week