Since 1971, American has been living high on “nothing more than bits of paper,” said Muhim Iqbal Khan in Pakistan’s Ausaf (via Watching America). To protect this fraudulent currency “shell game,” America persuaded Saudi Arabia and OPEC to use its “fake dollars” as the currency for oil. When Saddam Hussein started selling oil in euros, American overthrew him. Now Iran is threatening the “Great Satan” by abandoning the dollar, thus turning “the idols of American pride and conceit to dust.” America beware: “When the real value of these fake dollars is revealed to whole world, America will see only darkness everywhere.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week