ox is turning our “unemployment pain” into a reality show, said Sarah Ball in Newsweek. The network is developing a show called Someone’s Gotta Go, in which a small company is told by management that layoffs are coming, and “the staff gets to pick who gets the axe.” Sure it’s kind of “eeeevil,” but as far as TV goes, it sounds pretty “awesome.”
Really? said Bob Sassone in TV Squad. “Please note that these are real employees at a real company who are really going to lose their jobs, not to mention have their personal details revealed on national television.” The premise of Somebody’s Gotta Go is “insulting and embarrassing.”
Fox does seem to be taking “another bold step toward live televised executions,” said Lane Brown in New York magazine. But “we can't imagine any universe in which real, recession-affected people might watch something like this.” Then again, “Americans have certainly surprised us before!”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week