Demi Moore last week used Twitter to stop a woman from killing herself. The actress received a tweet from a fan who said she was “getting a knife” to commit suicide. Moore immediately shared the threat with her 400,000 Twitter contacts. Several Moore fans were able to identify the woman, and they contacted police, who took her in for psychiatric evaluation. “Thanks everyone for reaching out,” Moore tweeted.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
Subscribe to the Week