Demi Moore last week used Twitter to stop a woman from killing herself. The actress received a tweet from a fan who said she was “getting a knife” to commit suicide. Moore immediately shared the threat with her 400,000 Twitter contacts. Several Moore fans were able to identify the woman, and they contacted police, who took her in for psychiatric evaluation. “Thanks everyone for reaching out,” Moore tweeted.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week