Colorado man coughs up 1-inch nail
A Colorado man who was having an MRI suddenly felt a sharp pain in his nose, and coughed up a 1-inch nail that had been embedded in his head for 30 years. Prax Sanchez, 72, a retired carpenter, had no idea the nail was there, but felt something move inside his head when the magnetic imaging device exerted a pull on the metal. Minutes later, he coughed, and the nail popped into his hand. “I couldn’t believe it,” said Sanchez. “I never had any idea there was any metal in my face.”
Ringo Starr's surprising admission
Ringo Starr apparently did not have a deeply spiritual experience when he and the other Beatles famously made a pilgrimage to the ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1968. At an event this week to raise money for meditation training for kids, Starr produced stunned silence when he said he found India itself rather disturbing. “There were lepers without fingers and noses,” he said. Starr said he left the Maharishi’s ashram after 10 days because “the food was too spicy.”
Drunken driver crashes motorized bar stool
An Ohio man has been charged with drunken driving after he crashed his motorized bar stool. Police say that when they arrived, Kile Wygle, 28, told them, “I wrecked my bar stool,” and confessed to going on a joy ride after downing 15 beers. The vehicle, made from a bar stool mounted on a deconstructed lawn mower, is fully capable of reaching 38 mph, Wygle told cops. Out of consideration for his impaired condition, Wygle allegedly said, he was only doing 20 mph. He has pleaded not guilty and demanded a jury trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
Subscribe to the Week