Colorado man coughs up 1-inch nail
A Colorado man who was having an MRI suddenly felt a sharp pain in his nose, and coughed up a 1-inch nail that had been embedded in his head for 30 years. Prax Sanchez, 72, a retired carpenter, had no idea the nail was there, but felt something move inside his head when the magnetic imaging device exerted a pull on the metal. Minutes later, he coughed, and the nail popped into his hand. “I couldn’t believe it,” said Sanchez. “I never had any idea there was any metal in my face.”
Ringo Starr's surprising admission
Ringo Starr apparently did not have a deeply spiritual experience when he and the other Beatles famously made a pilgrimage to the ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1968. At an event this week to raise money for meditation training for kids, Starr produced stunned silence when he said he found India itself rather disturbing. “There were lepers without fingers and noses,” he said. Starr said he left the Maharishi’s ashram after 10 days because “the food was too spicy.”
Drunken driver crashes motorized bar stool
An Ohio man has been charged with drunken driving after he crashed his motorized bar stool. Police say that when they arrived, Kile Wygle, 28, told them, “I wrecked my bar stool,” and confessed to going on a joy ride after downing 15 beers. The vehicle, made from a bar stool mounted on a deconstructed lawn mower, is fully capable of reaching 38 mph, Wygle told cops. Out of consideration for his impaired condition, Wygle allegedly said, he was only doing 20 mph. He has pleaded not guilty and demanded a jury trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
Subscribe to the Week