Digital information's explosive growth
In 2006, the world produced 161 “exabytes” of digital information—3 million times the amount of information contained in all the books ever
written. Next year, the world will produce 988 exabytes of data.
Columbia Journalism Review
"Drowsy driving" accidents surge
As Americans have been cutting back on sleep, there has been a surge in traffic accidents caused by sleep deprivation. “Drowsy driving” is now a factor in more than 100,000 accidents a year, resulting in 1,500 deaths and 40,000 injuries.
Boat owners hit by recession dump their craft
Thousands of boat owners hit hard by the recession are abandoning their pleasure craft, rather than pay for their upkeep and mooring, by sandpapering off their registration numbers and sinking them at sea or ditching them in harbors or on the shoreline. “Our waters have become dumping grounds,” says Florida maritime official Paul Ouellette.
The New York Times
New Orleans dodges the recession
Thanks to the massive investments that followed Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans has largely dodged the ravages of the recession. With major building and renovation projects underway, home prices in the city have dipped only slightly, and the unemployment rate is 5.3 percent, compared with 8.5 percent nationally.
Los Angeles Times
1,200 car dealers to fail in 2009
With automakers expecting to sell 6 million fewer cars this year than five years ago, 1,200 car dealers will go out of business this year; 900 went out of business last year.
The Washington Post
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
Subscribe to the Week