GOOD DAY FOR: Man’s best friend, after Honda unveiled a dog-friendly version of its Element crossover SUV for the American market. The car comes with a built-in dog bed, doggy seat belt, water bowl, and fan. Honda said that America’s “dog-crazy consumers” and other pet owners spend $41 billion a year on their pets. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A girl’s best friend, as the recession is prompting more and more cash-strapped grooms to buy engagement rings set with cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, or opting for one carat “starter” rocks instead of two carat ones, or replacing the diamond with less expensive stones. “The women are a little hostile about it,” said New York City jeweler Kara Ackerman. “They have been waiting a long time for a ring!” (New York Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week