OOD DAY FOR: Man’s best friend, after Honda unveiled a dog-friendly version of its Element crossover SUV for the American market. The car comes with a built-in dog bed, doggy seat belt, water bowl, and fan. Honda said that America’s “dog-crazy consumers” and other pet owners spend $41 billion a year on their pets. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A girl’s best friend, as the recession is prompting more and more cash-strapped grooms to buy engagement rings set with cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, or opting for one carat “starter” rocks instead of two carat ones, or replacing the diamond with less expensive stones. “The women are a little hostile about it,” said New York City jeweler Kara Ackerman. “They have been waiting a long time for a ring!” (New York Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week