GOOD DAY FOR: Man’s best friend, after Honda unveiled a dog-friendly version of its Element crossover SUV for the American market. The car comes with a built-in dog bed, doggy seat belt, water bowl, and fan. Honda said that America’s “dog-crazy consumers” and other pet owners spend $41 billion a year on their pets. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A girl’s best friend, as the recession is prompting more and more cash-strapped grooms to buy engagement rings set with cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, or opting for one carat “starter” rocks instead of two carat ones, or replacing the diamond with less expensive stones. “The women are a little hostile about it,” said New York City jeweler Kara Ackerman. “They have been waiting a long time for a ring!” (New York Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week