OOD DAY FOR: Man’s best friend, after Honda unveiled a dog-friendly version of its Element crossover SUV for the American market. The car comes with a built-in dog bed, doggy seat belt, water bowl, and fan. Honda said that America’s “dog-crazy consumers” and other pet owners spend $41 billion a year on their pets. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A girl’s best friend, as the recession is prompting more and more cash-strapped grooms to buy engagement rings set with cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, or opting for one carat “starter” rocks instead of two carat ones, or replacing the diamond with less expensive stones. “The women are a little hostile about it,” said New York City jeweler Kara Ackerman. “They have been waiting a long time for a ring!” (New York Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week