GOOD DAY FOR: Man’s best friend, after Honda unveiled a dog-friendly version of its Element crossover SUV for the American market. The car comes with a built-in dog bed, doggy seat belt, water bowl, and fan. Honda said that America’s “dog-crazy consumers” and other pet owners spend $41 billion a year on their pets. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A girl’s best friend, as the recession is prompting more and more cash-strapped grooms to buy engagement rings set with cubic zirconia instead of diamonds, or opting for one carat “starter” rocks instead of two carat ones, or replacing the diamond with less expensive stones. “The women are a little hostile about it,” said New York City jeweler Kara Ackerman. “They have been waiting a long time for a ring!” (New York Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week