“Could Simon Cowell be the next person to leave American Idol?” said Issie Lapowsky in the New York Daily News. If we’re to believe his recent interview with Britain’s The Mirror, it seems like the “notoriously critical judge of Fox's hit show” might soon be “dropping out to focus on other projects.” Apparently, Cowell may just have “too much on his plate” at the moment.
Yeah, “as if Fox would let its prize pony put itself out to pasture,” said Jarett Wieselman in the New York Post. Cowell is an “integral” part of American Idol’s success—and “he’s irreplaceable.” Most likely, this is just “a savvy negotiating tactic” on Cowell’s part.
But “considering how Idol execs seem to be frantically intent on retooling the show this year,” said Glenn Gamboa in Newsday, “maybe they're already planning for him to leave.” Despite all the speculation, it’s possible that Kara DioGuardi wasn’t brought on to eventually replace Paula Abdul after all—maybe she's Cowell's replacement.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- 5 surprising snubs from the Golden Globe nominations
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
Subscribe to the Week