“Could Simon Cowell be the next person to leave American Idol?” said Issie Lapowsky in the New York Daily News. If we’re to believe his recent interview with Britain’s The Mirror, it seems like the “notoriously critical judge of Fox's hit show” might soon be “dropping out to focus on other projects.” Apparently, Cowell may just have “too much on his plate” at the moment.
Yeah, “as if Fox would let its prize pony put itself out to pasture,” said Jarett Wieselman in the New York Post. Cowell is an “integral” part of American Idol’s success—and “he’s irreplaceable.” Most likely, this is just “a savvy negotiating tactic” on Cowell’s part.
But “considering how Idol execs seem to be frantically intent on retooling the show this year,” said Glenn Gamboa in Newsday, “maybe they're already planning for him to leave.” Despite all the speculation, it’s possible that Kara DioGuardi wasn’t brought on to eventually replace Paula Abdul after all—maybe she's Cowell's replacement.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week