aved worker demands compensation for lunch hour
A government worker in Binghamton, N.Y., who had to stay at his desk during the recent massacre wants compensation for missing his lunch hour. Binghamton’s Department of Social Services building was locked down during the spree that left 14 dead, and employee James Kauchis has since demanded pay for his lost lunch hour. County Executive Barbara Fiala was flabbergasted. “A lot of people lost a lot more that day than just one hour,” she said.
Child murder vs. the head scarf
An Illinois man whose wife has been charged with child murder says police have insulted Islam by releasing her mug shot. Nour Hadid, 26, is charged with beating her 2-year-old niece to death. But husband Alaeddin Hadid says the larger issue is that police took a mug shot of Nour without her traditional Muslim head scarf and released the photo to the media. Police, he said, are “really going to be in big trouble” for violating her modesty.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
Subscribe to the Week