Sasha and Malia Obama finally got their White House puppy this week, when the First Family adopted a 6-month-old Portuguese water dog. The girls named the dog Bo. Although President Obama had initially expressed interest in rescuing a shelter dog, Bo is a purebred selected for his hypoallergenic coat. Sen. Edward Kennedy’s wife, Victoria, presented the dog as a gift. To appease those clamoring for a shelter dog, the Obamas said they would make a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week