Sasha and Malia Obama finally got their White House puppy this week, when the First Family adopted a 6-month-old Portuguese water dog. The girls named the dog Bo. Although President Obama had initially expressed interest in rescuing a shelter dog, Bo is a purebred selected for his hypoallergenic coat. Sen. Edward Kennedy’s wife, Victoria, presented the dog as a gift. To appease those clamoring for a shelter dog, the Obamas said they would make a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week