Sasha and Malia Obama finally got their White House puppy this week, when the First Family adopted a 6-month-old Portuguese water dog. The girls named the dog Bo. Although President Obama had initially expressed interest in rescuing a shelter dog, Bo is a purebred selected for his hypoallergenic coat. Sen. Edward Kennedy’s wife, Victoria, presented the dog as a gift. To appease those clamoring for a shelter dog, the Obamas said they would make a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week