Sasha and Malia Obama finally got their White House puppy this week, when the First Family adopted a 6-month-old Portuguese water dog. The girls named the dog Bo. Although President Obama had initially expressed interest in rescuing a shelter dog, Bo is a purebred selected for his hypoallergenic coat. Sen. Edward Kennedy’s wife, Victoria, presented the dog as a gift. To appease those clamoring for a shelter dog, the Obamas said they would make a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- As deadly skin cancer rates keep climbing, surgeon general says to stop tanning and wear sunscreen
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week