Iglu-Dorf is literally “the coolest” hotel in the Alps, said Alan Behr in The Dallas Morning News. Every year, a Swiss company constructs an igloo, “like the kind an Inuit would call home,” from snow gathered at the base of the Pennine Alps. Backpackers hoping to secure an icy room for the evening can enjoy a “true alfresco apéritif” at the snow bar outside before heading in for hot mulled wine and fondue—the only dish whose preparation won’t melt the place. Then it’s off to the whirlpools for a quick dip before curling up in a hotel-provided sleeping bag.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week