glu-Dorf is literally “the coolest” hotel in the Alps, said Alan Behr in The Dallas Morning News. Every year, a Swiss company constructs an igloo, “like the kind an Inuit would call home,” from snow gathered at the base of the Pennine Alps. Backpackers hoping to secure an icy room for the evening can enjoy a “true alfresco apéritif” at the snow bar outside before heading in for hot mulled wine and fondue—the only dish whose preparation won’t melt the place. Then it’s off to the whirlpools for a quick dip before curling up in a hotel-provided sleeping bag.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week