Iglu-Dorf is literally “the coolest” hotel in the Alps, said Alan Behr in The Dallas Morning News. Every year, a Swiss company constructs an igloo, “like the kind an Inuit would call home,” from snow gathered at the base of the Pennine Alps. Backpackers hoping to secure an icy room for the evening can enjoy a “true alfresco apéritif” at the snow bar outside before heading in for hot mulled wine and fondue—the only dish whose preparation won’t melt the place. Then it’s off to the whirlpools for a quick dip before curling up in a hotel-provided sleeping bag.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week