glu-Dorf is literally “the coolest” hotel in the Alps, said Alan Behr in The Dallas Morning News. Every year, a Swiss company constructs an igloo, “like the kind an Inuit would call home,” from snow gathered at the base of the Pennine Alps. Backpackers hoping to secure an icy room for the evening can enjoy a “true alfresco apéritif” at the snow bar outside before heading in for hot mulled wine and fondue—the only dish whose preparation won’t melt the place. Then it’s off to the whirlpools for a quick dip before curling up in a hotel-provided sleeping bag.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- The secrets of happy families
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
Subscribe to the Week